Sunday, July 22, 2012

Perspective

I may have not eaten anything for 13 hours; but neither did anyone else.  I may have treated close to 20 patients in a 12 hour period with all 4 rooms full at all times; but so did everyone else.  Never once did I feel like I was working alone.  Never once was I asked to compromise patient care or put my license at risk by taking on assignments I can't handle.  I know that I'm valued at work, I'm respected by fellow nurses, physicians, & ancillary staff.  I know that at any time I can ask a question, ask for help, or ask for a break & not be laughed at or ridiculed.  I know my leadership & management has my back, I know I can talk to them & express concerns or frustrations without getting written up for calling out because "if I come in tonight I feel like I will make a mistake, I'm too overwhelmed".  No joke, had a manager tell me that he strongly suggests that I come in to work tonight or else, after I explained how horrendous staffing has been & how overwhelming it is to deal with 14 beds by yourself without a tech or triage half the time for 7 hours each night.  It's all about perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment