Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Unapproacheable

So a couple of months back I had a conversation with the boss where she described some concerns the other staff had brought up to her.  Specifically I was called tough, unapproachable, and had a my-way-or-no-way attitude.  I was not given specific situations that generated these complaints, nor was I told who the people making complaints were.  Needless to say I was upset that my own co-workers couldn't come to talk to me, defensive because I was called unapproachable, and confused about how I was supposed to be responsible for the safety of all the patients in the department without delegating proper assignments to the staff.  On the nights in questions we had high-volume, high-acuity nights, and at times nurses ended up with 5 patient assignments, however I was constantly rounding and never asked nurses to do something I wouldn't.  I'm now channeling my energy of disappointment and frustration at finding my next career path in medicine, trying to decide if I want to stay at the bedside.  Ideally I would want solitary, independent work that involves high-tech, high-expertise skills: so currently it's a toss-up between an NP program or an MSN in Toxicology or Forensics or Legal Nurse Consultant.  Still have a dream to fly.  We'll see where this road leads.

No comments:

Post a Comment